For a Quick Reference

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Birth Story


Our new baby boy was born June 29th!

 

I had been so worried about his birth. Our new house is an hour's drive away from our hospital. I had nightmares of me delivering my baby in a pasture in the country. I had experienced early labor so my doctor recommended a week of bed-rest.


I tried to be obedient, really. My bed rest lasted a whole 3 hours. I couldn't handle staying in bed all day when there's so  much work to be done and boxes to unpack.


Since we are so far from our doctor, I decided to schedule an induction for the following week.

Our children spent the night in the home of a dear friend. This allowed Nathan and I to enjoy one last date night together before the big day.


I slept a total of 3 hours that night. The excitement, anticipation, and nervousness for what lay ahead prevented rest.


I was very nervous when the anesthesiologist walked into my room in the hospital. He didn't look professional at all. He looked like a scruffy college student. I prayed very hard that his hands would be steady and all would go well. The Lord was very good to me and we had no complications with the epidural.


The labor progressed nicely and the delivery itself was very positive. Joseph was delivered and promptly placed on my stomach. He didn't cry or whine at all...he just looked at everyone attentively. The nurses were worried since he was so quiet, so they rushed him away for his inspection. They thought he must have a lung problem. It turns out he is just very laid back. His Apgar score was a 9 and he was healthy. He seems to have a very mild temperament.


We were so excited to hold him in our arms and finally meet our son face-to-face. We've looked forward to his arrival for so long. It seemed surreal to finally have him here.  I kept him in my arms instead of putting him in the bassinet for almost the entire 3-day hospital stay. I couldn't bear to put him down or let the hospital staff ever take him away to the nursery. I feel so blessed and so happy!

1 comment:

Angela S said...

I'm grateful you were able to have an epidural safely. I remember that was a concern of yours in the past. What a great blessing to your family! We're so happy for you all!