For a Quick Reference

Thursday, December 2, 2010

A rather large update

I have been feeling too sick to care about updating the blog lately, and a lot of big activities have happened since then. We had a lovely Thanksgiving, and a beautiful baptism for my daughter.

We were blessed with the previously unknown luxury of having family visit for the Thanksgiving holiday. It was so delightful to have everyone near us for the weekend. I had been quite worried about hosting our traditionally large guest list of 30 people since I couldn't handle even being in the kitchen. I was so blessed to have a wonderful friend from Relief Society come clean my home before company arrived. I'm so thankful for the Church and the way everyone looks after each other. I haven't been able to attend church in several weeks since I've been too sick to sit through the three hour meeting. It's really hard for me to miss church that long. This past Sunday I tried going and was overwhelmed by the abundant love poured out on me. There were so many kind sisters who offered to bring meals to lighten Nathan's burden, and some of the young women ran out of their classes to catch me in the hall with offers for free babysitting while I'm sick. I'm so thankful for their kind concern and unfeigned love, and I'm so thankful for truly good people that follow the Savior's example in lifting the burdens of others. I have felt so deeply blessed by them.

Speaking of blessings, I was also wonderfully blessed by my angelic mother-in-law, Cindy. She took over the house chores and was a whirlwind of cheerful work to clean the kitchen every day and provide meals for all the family members while I stayed in bed. She was truly an angel and I don't know how I would have accomplished anything this weekend without her. In reality, I didn't accomplish anything- she did it all. I'm so truly grateful for the way she eased my burdens.

She did all the work to make Sarah's baptism luncheon possible, and even purchased the meal and a celebration cake. Sarah was so delighted with the cake, and it was so lovely.

I was feeling so sick on the morning of Sarah's baptism that I almost had to stay home from the event. I prayed so hard that morning, asking the Lord to just let me witness her special day. I discovered that after-dinner mints were helping calm my nausea, so I carried a bowl of them into the church with me and ate them the entire time. The children sitting near me were happy to share in the candy throughout the program.

I was so thankful that I could be there. Her grandparents gave such wonderful talks about the Holy Ghost and baptism. I'm so thankful they were here to share their thoughts and testimonies with her. All the relatives helped with the program in wonderful ways, and Daniel was comical the way he directed the music. One of Sarah's Primary teachers gave her a beautiful white towel embroidered with her baptism date, and she was so ecstatic to use it after she exited the baptismal font. It was so special for her.

I had been feeling a bit low and depressed with my illness lately, so I've tried to remind myself of all the blessings there are in my life.

I'm SO thankful that this sickness has a purpose and there will be a priceless reward at the end.

I'm so thankful that I'm able to eat anything at all, even if I hate it. In the past pregnancies, my sickness was so severe that I literally starved for days at a time and required IV fluids. I'm so thankful I haven't encountered that again.

I'm thankful for Charles Dickens, and the way his books help me escape the sickness for a moment.

I'm thankful that my brother decided to stay with us for a couple weeks and drive the children to home school activities while I'm sick.

I'm overwhelmingly thankful for my husband. He's been so compassionate and helpful with this pregnancy. He's my hero. I can't even say enough all the kind services he's rendered me.

I'm thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, and the peace it gives me. I'm thankful for the eternal perspective it gives me, and how it reminds me that this trial will be just a short while.

I'm thankful for the priesthood that my sweet husband holds, and the direct channel for personal revelation that I receive in priesthood blessings. It has done so much to buoy my spirits and help me feel God's love for me and this unborn child.

I am thankful for my physical body, even though I feel trapped within it for now. I'm thankful that I can be an instrument in the Lord's hands to bring a beautiful child to life. It's such a miracle, and I feel so humbled to assist the Lord in creating life. I am truly blessed indeed.

2 comments:

Nicol said...

Congrats on the pregnancy that is very exciting. Sorry to hear that you're so sick. But you're right, it will have a priceless reward in the end.

Kathryn said...

Renae, keep moving forward. You are so sweet and so considerate of others even in your misery. We loved being with you and your family for Thanksgiving and for Sarah's baptism. Thank you and we pray for you!