For a Quick Reference

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fun with family

My sister-in-law, Katy, is living with us for a couple months while her husband, Peter, is in military training north of us. What fun!

It's been so fun to have her around! My kids love her kids, and it's great to watch them interact. Sarah and Matthew really love holding Kelso (who is 9 months old) and playing with him. They'll beg me to let them hold him and they love to do silly dances and make him smile.

Sarah loves having a 'little sister' around to play with. She's been teaching Ella all sorts of 'girlie' things and they're enjoyed playing dolls together. When Matthew and Sarah went to school the first day back from vacation, they asked me , "Are our cousins going to still be here when we come home? Are you sure they'll be here?" When I picked them up that afternoon, before they graces me with any kiss or hug or 'hello', they asked breathlessly, "Are Ella and Kelson still at home? Can we play?". I'm gald they love their little cousins so much!

As for me, it's been great fun having Katy around. Now I have a canvas to practice whenever we would like. Recently we decided to try henna art. There is a little Indian market near our house, so we purchased some tubes of henna paste (1.50 per tube, not bad at all!) to play with. Each tube will cover about 5 hands. It was pretty fun to browse popular henna patterns online and learn the symbolism of the patterns. Bridal henna was very amazing to look at, but way too intricate for me. We settled with a flowery piece on her arm.


We did this after the children were all asleep. It was pretty educational. Henna is applied from a tube very similar to a cake-decorating tube. It was a completely new experience for me to learn this. It is a dye that stains the skin for 10-14 days, so it's nice that it doesn't wash off right away like the face paints do.

No comments: