For a Quick Reference

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

400 pounds of bananas!





I'm allowing my husband to write this one:




  My wife is an angel. This morning she called me at work:
"Do we have any plans this evening besides FHE?" She asked.
"Not that I know of"
"How would you like to make some banana bread?", she asked.
"Sounds like fun. What's up?"
"Sister Chavez works at a local soup kitchen and they were going to throw out some overripe bananas. She said they would bring them to us.", She said.
"That's great!", We hung up the phone.
A couple hours later, Renae called again. This time her voice had more of a panicked sound to it.
"They dropped off the bananas..."
"Ok?" I replied cautiously.
"They tried to get me to take more but I stopped them after they unloaded ten cases." She said.
"...?"
"Yeah- they're 40 pounds each. We have 400 pounds of overripe bananas sitting in our kitchen."
Renae was able to give away 4 cases leaving us with a mere 240 pounds of bananas. She then proceeded to peel, mash, and freeze bananas for about 6 hours, in addition to taking the kids to school, picking them up, and taking them to their art lessons.
She finally stopped when we were out of lemon juice and freezer bags and every cubic inch of our deep freezer was full of bagged bananas. We fed most of the banana peels to the chickens and I buried the rest in the compost pile. Renae then mopped the floor which was unbelievably sticky, fed the family dinner, and led us in an excellent FHE.
I fear that I may lose her any day to being translated. It's a serious concern for me.

4 comments:

Brian said...

WOW! 400 POUNDS!! I bet that smelt delicious! Renae, you really are amazing! Now I REALLY want to make some banana bread!! yum yum!! We miss you guys!

Nathan Kingsley said...

"Allowing my husband"???

You stole this text without my permission and posted it here! That's copyright infringement baby!

Unknown said...

Well....I wrote an article myself, but it sounded so dumb compared to yours. It was mindlessly dull....mashing more bananas, over and over, calling people to beg them to come get some of the fruit, packaging mashed bananas, etc. 6 hours of the same activity gets VERY dull, and it's no better relating to other people. So yes, I stole your story because you made it sound interesting.

Kathryn said...

Wow Renae, it looks like you will be having Banana bread for the next 5 years! :D