For a Quick Reference

Saturday, August 29, 2009

We love literature!





Before she started first grade, Sarah was reading "Swiss Family Robinson". She's been engrossed in the story and delights in reading a 'real' chapter book (as compared to 'elementary' chapter books that are only 100 pages long). It's been so fun watching her read every day. She particularly enjoys using bookmarks cut out of pretty scrap booking paper (I finally found something useful for that darn paper! Who needs scrap booking?) She wanted bookmarks cut out of several pretty papers, but didn't want to 'waste' the bookmarks by having them lie in a pile. She wanted to use them all simultaneously, so she read the first chapters of 5 different books, then carefully placed the bookmark in and lined the books in a row.

She made a 'reading station' for herself downstairs on our school-table. First she found a wooden box to hold a variety of her favorite books (American Girls, Pony Pals, Heidi, and current interests mixed together). She also gathered a notebook and pen for writing down the words she needs a defining. Her page from last night's reading had these words: Vesuvius, Medusa, Pompeii, tunics, unison. Fun! She has been reading in much of her spare time, which absolutely delights me. I love taking pictures of her reading.

I'm very pleased that she shares one my deepest joys. I'm an unabashed bibliomaniac. That new toy, the Kindle, has so many rave reviews about how great it is to have so many books at your fingertips. I'm really honestly not even interested in it. It lacks the fundamental ingredient in enjoying a good book: the book itself. The sensory pleasures from holding the book, turning the pages, and smelling paper (especially the old-paper smell found in good used-book stores....oh YUM!) are irreplaceable. I've read books online before, and it's just not the same. I can't get the deep feeling of satisfaction from a story without having a physical interaction with the book. I suppose it could be compared to love....you can't REALLY grow to love someone if you only see pictures of them and never really spend time with them. Perhaps I am wrong, but that's my view. Give me a good book (especially nice hard-back ones), whet my mental appetite, and I'm happy for the rest of the day. It's so difficult to tear myself away from good writing so I can deal with life's necessary responsibilities. My only consolation in this is the knowledge that we will be able to learn for eternity....what bliss!

For Math we discovered some real *gems* in literature: Sir Cumference and the Round Table. There is an entire series about Sir Cumference and each book teaches the principle of geometry as part of a wonderful story. We found them in our library and REALLY enjoy them! I highly recommend them to anyone doing home school. The books are clever (there are twin brothers named Geo of Metry and Sym of Metry, a lady named Di of Ameter, and a small boy named Radius) and they present the facts in a way that's easy to remember. There is a riddle to solve, and the answer is only found after applying mathematical truths. It's so fun! These are definitely on our family wish-list now!

Taking our kids to school each morning is like running the gauntlet. The school is only one mile away, but merely dropping our kids off at school takes 45 minutes! The traffic jam to gain access to the school parking lot is ridiculous. We've started listening to audio books while we wait each morning. This week we've been listening to Greek legends. The narrator recently introduced the story of Prometheus. Delighted with the cool name, Matthew giggled, rubbed his hands together in excitement, and said in a voice shivering with pleasure: Proooomeeeeeeeeeeeeetheus!!! What a funny guy!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

OH I so want a kindle not for at home reading I agree that there is defintely something to having a book but I would love to be able to keep a kindle in my purse and have my book on hand at all times so that I could read if I ended up waiting somewhere as is so commen or with the new ones if I get stuck in traffic they read to you. My only problem is that I would be buying the book on kindle and in paper so I would be spending lots of money! Maybe someday when I am rich and famous!

Shelley Bowman said...

I can't believe sara is such an accomplished reader!
I still think that you should try your hand at writing a novel of your own. You really have a way with words...