For a Quick Reference

Monday, January 5, 2009

Lexington and Concord

I love this place! Dad took us all to the North Bridge in Lexington, the site of the first battle of the revolution. It was such a beautiful place (I know I keep saying that in every post, but it's true). The bridge is a replica of what it was in the 1700's. I can't imagine an army trying to cross something so narrow in comparison to a garrison of troops. It was my first time ever on a historic battleground. The snow made it quiet and scenic. It was interestingly humbling, mixed with a sense of loss and grief. I have a hard time with conflicts, and war is so taxing on both sides. It made me contemplate my freedoms and the price paid for it. I think it's something we take for granted often since we know nothing different. I've always been a fan of American history, particularly the time periods surrounding the Revolution. Being here and seeing the locations is so exhilarating. I am so ecstatic just to walk the roads where historical giants have lived. I get jittery just remembering the places now as I type. There is a certain spirit here. I love it. I've decided we have to come back again in the summer (probably in two years or so) and explore more. I could live here for years and still be excited to learn more of its history.

No comments: