For a Quick Reference

Thursday, November 13, 2008

I believe that all people are children of God and should be respected as such. We all have our own weaknesses and different priorities, but that in no way excuses unkind behavior towards one another.

I agree that we should tolerate other people's choices and freedom to act according their own conscious, but 'tolerance' does not mean 'agreement'. I don't have to agree with other people's choices, and the very nature of the word 'tolerance' implies a disagreement. I can still respect and serve people I disagree with, and indeed, that happens every day in my neighborhood and family. We have a homosexual couple living two houses down from us. They are kind men and I enjoy talking with both of them. We take gifts over at Christmas and bring treats around the year to them. My daughter loves playing with their dogs and one of the men literally saved an elderly neighbor's life. They are decent people and I consider them to be good neighbors. I don't agree with their lifestyle choices, but I can still respect their agency and individual worth.

Some opponents to Prop. 8 have been so full of hate and violence and that is really disturbing to me.
How is a Christian to respond to people who attack our standards in the guise of tolerance?

“To respond in a Christlike way cannot be scripted or based on a formula.
The Savior responded differently in every situation. When He was confronted
by wicked King Herod, He remained silent. When He stood before Pilate, He
bore a simple and powerful testimony of His divinity and purpose. Facing the
moneychangers who were defiling the temple, He exercised His divine
responsibility to preserve and protect that which was sacred. Lifted up upon
a cross, He uttered the incomparable Christian response: ‘Father, forgive
them; for they know not what they do' (Luke 23:34).”

Challenges to our faith are not new. Nor are they likely to go away anytime
soon. But, as Elder Hales reminds us, “True disciples of Christ see
opportunity in the midst of opposition. We can take advantage of such
opportunities in many ways: a kind letter to the editor, a conversation with
a friend, a comment on a blog, or a reassuring word to one who has made a
disparaging comment. We can answer with love those who have been influenced
by misinformation and prejudice – who are ‘kept from the truth because they
know not where to find it' (D&C 123:12). I assure you that to answer our
accusers in this way is never weakness. It is Christian courage in action.”

I know a lot of religious faiths united to pass Prop. 8. The list of supporters included Evangelicals, Catholics, Jews, Muslim, and atheists. I'm so pleased that people are starting to understand what power society has when good people of various faiths unite. I have several friends of different faiths, such as Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, and atheist. I meet twice a month at a Baptist church to support and strengthen mothers in our area. I respect our various friends and sincerely appreciate their efforts to improve society. I learn a lot from them and enjoy their friendship. We invite these friends over for game nights and parties as often as our schedules allow it. I think God sorrows when people allow religious differences to bar friendships or goodwill.

I think we'll soon discover that good people across the nation will have to unite more often to protect our basic values. I hope we won't wait until the next 'Proposition' vote comes around before we unite with our brothers and sisters in Christ(Or Allah). Invite someone over for a BBQ or strike up a conversation with someone of another faith. There's enough negativity to last a long time, what we need is more goodwill, regardless of personal beliefs. United we can change the world, just like we did this month in California.

No comments: